News and Notes from the City of Canyon Lake


Public Safety Committee Meeting

The January meeting of the City's Public Safety Committee will be held in the evening so people who normally work during the day can attend. The meeting will be on Tuesday, January 21, at 6:30 p.m. in the City Chamber (formerly City Multi-purpose Room).

Discharge of Firearms

Canyon Lake Municipal Code Section 11.01 prohibits the discharge of firearms within all areas of the City limits and the Bureau of Land Management. This type of activity is a misdemeanor with fines up to $1,000 and/or six months in jail. This includes the use of setting up a target range and hunting of wildlife. If anyone has questions or wants to report this type of activity, we encourage them to contact City Hall at 951-244-2955.

Coming up at City Hall

? Alum Workshop ? Tuesday, January 14, 7 p.m., Municipal Building

? Water Committee Meeting ? Tuesday, January 21, 10:30 a.m. at EVMWD offices

? Public Safety Committee Meeting ? Tuesday, January 21, 6:30 p.m., City Chamber? Chamber of Commerce Installation and Awards Dinner, Thursday, January 23, 6 p.m. at the Lodge

? Coffee with Councilwoman Horton ? Tuesday, January 28, 10 a.m. The Sports Stop

? Administration and Finance Committee Meeting ? Tuesday, February 4, 8 a.m., Municipal Building

? City Council Meeting ? Wednesday, February 5, 6:30 p.m., Municipal Building

Party Permits

The City of Canyon Lake would like to remind residents that any time they plan a large party or event at either their home or one of the community’s parks and 50 people or more are expected, a Special Event Permit must be filed with the City. This is a separate requirement from any the POA may impose for the same event. Special Event Permits are $25 and must be filed no later than 30 days prior to the planned event or party. Please contact City Hall at 244-2955 for more information or to find out if your party or event qualifies for Special Event Permit filing.

City Finances

Did you know the City provides a complete listing of financial claims and demands each month in the City Council agenda? Residents can see where their tax dollars are spent, thanks to the reporting of Accounting Specialist Nancy Greenhalgh. To see the City Council agenda and the List of Demands, visit

Calling About Power Outages

Southern California Edison encourages residents to call the SCE 24 hour emergency hotline at 800-611-1911 to report an unscheduled outage. It is the primary way SCE to know there is a problem so crews can be deployed.

Residents who experience outages can check the “Outage Center” at to learn what time they can expect power to be restored.

RTA News

The Riverside Transit Agency has a fare policy that allows all military veterans to ride at a discounted rate, and active duty military, police and fire personnel to ride for free. Until recently only disabled military veterans received the discounted fare. In honor of their service, RTA has extended the discounted fare to all veterans, disabled or not, who carry proper ID.

View Municipal Code

Canyon Lakers can go to to view the Canyon Lake Code of Ordinances. On the home page, click on “Departments” and select “City Clerk.” On the far right column there is a list of links that includes the “Canyon Lake Code of Ordinances.”

Call vector control

The Northwest Mosquito & Vector Control District provides vector control services (mosquitoes, flies, rats, Africanized honeybees, black flies and midges) in Canyon Lake. Residents experiencing vector control problems in the community should contact the District at 951-340-9792 or visit

Landscape water efficiency

City Hall encourages water efficiency. Anyone planning to rehabilitate landscaping or irrigation, and the project cumulatively exceeds 1,500 square feet in size, needs to submit plans to City Hall. A list of drought tolerant plants can be found by visiting

Building permits

A building permit is required when any owner or authorized agent who intends to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit. The building official can also provide information on work exempt from a permit.

Office hours of the Building and Safety Department are Tuesday and Thursday, 8 to 10 a.m. To reach Building Official Ronald Espalin, P.E. by phone, call 909-386-0204.

Hiring a contractor

City Hall encourages residents to check whether the contractor they are hiring has a Canyon Lake business license. If the job exceeds $500, also ask to see a contractor’s license.

Housing-related fraud

The Friday Flyer regularly publishes market updates from Gene Wunderlich, director of government affairs for the Southwest Riverside County Association of Realtors. Mr. Wunderlich is part of a Fraud and Risk Management task force and recently provided the following reminder and e-mail address if people see something fishy or have concerns about a housing-related issue. Contact

Only rain in the drain

Disposing of pollutants into the street, gutters, storm drains or Lake is prohibited by law and can result in stiff penalties. Storm drains are not connected to sanitary sewer systems and treatment plants. The primary purpose of storm drains is to carry rainwater away from developed areas to prevent flooding.

Pollutants discharged to the storm drains are transported directly into the Lake. Capture and dispose of wastewater and chemicals properly. Remember, storm drains are for receiving rainwater runoff only.

For more information or to report illegal discharges, call Canyon Lake Code Enforcement at 746-7978.

Veterans Memorial bricks

The City of Canyon Lake is perpetually selling bricks to honor veterans and active duty military at the Veterans Memorial. The applications are available at City Hall or at  

Passport services

The nearest facility for passport services is Sun City Main Post Office, 26822 Cherry Hills Blvd. in Menifee. The phone number is 301-3657.

The City of Canyon Lake has launched, an interactive virtual “town hall” website dedicated to soliciting ideas and feedback from residents about a broad variety of engaging community issues. Sign up at and join the discussions!

Code Red options

The City of Canyon Lake has instituted the Code Red Emergency Notification System ? an ultra high-speed telephone communication service for emergency notifications. This system allows City officials to telephone all or targeted areas of the City in case of an emergency situation that requires immediate action (such as a boil-water notice, missing child or evacuation notices). 

The City’s Code Red system has received software allowing residents to choose which call lists they would like to have phone numbers assigned to. The “Emergency Call” list is automatic for those who enter their phone number on the website. The “General Notification” list is optional. Log into to update lists and choose either just the emergency calling list or both lists. 

Dial 211 for info

The City of Canyon Lake entered into an annual service agreement with 211 Riverside County, a nonprofit agency, to provide residents with toll-free local information and referrals to social services.

Canyon Lake residents in need of a link to social services can dial 2-1-1 free of charge, 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The 211 operators provide callers with contact information and referrals to local nonprofit agencies and programs best matching the caller’s needs.

City Council meetings

The City Council holds meetings the first Wednesday of the month in the Municipal Building. Canyon Lake City Council meetings stream live at and are televised live at Time Warner Channel 29 and Verizon Channel 39.

Any person wishing to address the City Council at its monthly meeting on any matter within the jurisdiction of the City, whether or not it appears on the monthly agenda, is asked to complete a “Speaker Request Form” available on the back counter.

The completed form is to be submitted to the City Clerk prior to an individual being heard by the City Council. The City Council has adopted a time limitation of three minutes per person. If commenting on an agenda item, comments will be heard at the time that particular item is scheduled on the agenda.

Please note that, for anyone addressing the City Council on items not on the agenda, the Brown Act does not allow discussion of such items. Therefore, the City Council may only do the following; refer the matter to staff, ask for additional information or request a report back, or give a very limited factual response.